iOS Networking with Swift
Skills Covered: iOS Networking, URL Session, JSON Parsing, Chaining Asynchronous Requests, Authenticating Requests, Improving Networking with MVC
ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course will teach you how to incorporate networking into your apps, so they can access data from around the world. You will explore how to harness the power of APIs to display images and retrieve movie data. As a practical exercise, you’ll build the “On the Map” app which allows you to share interesting links, projects, or other information with fellow Udacity students.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Making a Network Request
- Basics of the web and using web services.
- Experiment making requests and seeing their responses.
- Make a simple request to download an image using a URL.
Using Web Services and APIs
- How to parse JSON data and display it to a user.
- Build your first app that utilizes a web service: “Sleeping in the Library.”
- How to use the Flickr API to download pictures from a gallery.
Chaining Asynchronous Requests
- Use closures to chain multiple web requests together.
- Demonstrate these new skills by building the “Flick Finder” app.
- Use the Flickr API to search for images based on a search string or location.
- Difference between the user and anonymously accessed data.
- Build the “My Favorite Movies” app that utilizes the Movie Database API.
- Securely access data using HTTPS and tokens.
Improving Networking with MVC
- Improve on your “My Favorite Movies” app to build the “Movie Manager” app.
- Use good MVC design and learn what this means from a networking perspective.
- Reduce code duplication and refactor code for more simple network requests.
Preparing for “On the Map”
- Start on your final project app “On the Map.”
- Network reliability.
- How your app should behave if a network cannot be reached.