Android Basics: Networking by Google
Skills Covered: Android Development, JSON Parsing, HTTP Networking, Threads and Parallelism, Control Flow and Conditionals, Preferences
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Android apps are everywhere and learning to build them can be a fantastic career move. Continue on your Android app development education and learn to build multi-screen apps! Learn about:
- JSON Parsing
- HTTP Networking
- Threads and Parallelism
By the end of the course, you’ll build an app that gets you up to date earthquake information. This course is a part of the Android Basics Nanodegree by Google.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Discover the power of Web Apis and how they can be used in an Android App.
- Gain practice reading API documentation and learn how to request data from an API using a web browser.
- Learn the essentials of JSON
- HTTP Response format.
- Harness the essentials of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol to exchange data between an Android device and a web server.
- Components that are needed to compose an HTTP GET Request.
- Harness the HttpUrlConnection class to compose a request to the USGS API.
Threads and Parallelism
- Learn how you can use threads to do time-consuming work in the background while keeping an Android App’s User Interface fast and responsive.
- A comprehensive overview of AsyncTask and Loaders
- Important threading options exposed by the Android Framework.
- How to persist user settings using Shared Preferences.