With the high impact of technical skills in the global market, the need for everyone to be ‘computer literate’ is rapidly increasing. This also leads to demand for computer science and related degrees in the educational system. However, in such a case where we need to obtain this degree while engaging in other daily activities, we need an alternative to fill in the gap. Hence, the rise in the popularity of computer science online certifications. But which one is the Best University for Computer Science?
Over the past two decades, online education, often known as distant learning, has grown in popularity. In fact, since 2002, the number of students taking at least one online college course has increased every year – at a faster rate than total higher education enrolment.
Everyone has varied experiences with online and conventional courses, and when it comes to obtaining a degree, everyone will have their own preferences. Both routes have advantages and disadvantages, and modern employers value them equally.
According to a recent study, more than 75% of academic leaders agree that online education is on the same level as on-campus education. On the other hand, almost seventy percent of chief academic officers think that online learning is an important component of long-term educational plans. It’s understandable why.
Online courses have numerous advantages. Online programs make education more accessible to students who work full-time, have family responsibilities, or live far from campus. Online courses also enable students to work at their own speed and take control of their education.
There’s an immense desire to attain credentials from a prestigious and recognized university. Many universities offer online education in computer science, but you will need a recognized and trusted one. What is Best University for Computer Science then? Well, there isn’t just one. This article provides a reviewed list of top worldwide universities with examples of the best online computer science or IT-related courses today. Take a look!
- What is the Best University for Computer Science in Online Education? Here’s a Review!
- 1. Harvard University, United States
- 2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States
- 3. Georgia Institute of Technology, United States
- 4. New York University, United States
- 5. University of California San Diego, United States
- 6. Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- 7. National University of Singapore
- 8. Curtin University, Australia
- 9. Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
- 10. Southern New Hampshire University, New England
- Why do you need a computer science credentials?
- What are worth taking online credentials in computer science?
- Now it’s your turn!
What is the Best University for Computer Science in Online Education? Here’s a Review!
Below is a list of worldwide universities that offer online computer science programs in 2021.
Please Note: This list is by no means definitive and does not intend to speak against those not incorporated in it. It is simply an overview of some top-ranked schools that offer IT-related courses as of 2021.
1. Harvard University, United States
Looking for the Best University for Computer Science? It is definitely rare to review the top of them and exempt Harvard. The famous Harvard University is undoubtedly one of the oldest and most prestigious higher institutions in the world today. Maintaining its spot as one of the Ivy League universities, you will surely expect the best from it.
This university offers over 200 online courses in different fields of education. This gives everyone a chance to taste what it feels like to acquire a degree from a respected education institute.
This institution is devoted to excellence in research, teaching, and learning. They offer high-impact courses at comparatively a small fee if you compare it to the true value of their courses. With varying courses in different disciplines in computer science, you can get a verified certificate after successful completion. The recommended programs are:
- Computer science for artificial intelligence
- Computer science for web programming
- Mobile development
- Web and app development
- Machine learning
- Data analysis
- Game development
Although the above courses are great for pursuing a particular specialization in Computer Science, one of the most popular online courses for beginners is the CS50: Computer Science Principles by Harvard. It gives you an excellent overview of the current state of computer science, familiarizes you with all the key concepts, and acts as a building block that helps you delve deeper into computer science.
Did you know that Harvard provides a variety of free online courses? This is a massive opportunity to start learning with this prestigious university for anybody around the globe! Free courses are not ended with a validated certificate but this can be purchased at a small fee!
Most of these courses are self-paced and have a duration of five to seventeen months. Choose from the selection of professional computer-related courses from this prestigious university with ease – Harvard has name recognition worldwide, and a credential from this university will be a massive aid in the job market.
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), established in 1861, is committed to promoting learning and developing students in science, technology, and other fields that will best serve the country and the globe in the twenty-first century. Discover MIT. MITx helps the Institute improve education globally.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology ranked as the second-best global university in the world. Although best known for its tremendous contribution to engineering, it has also played an essential role in improving the world’s perception of computer science.
By doing this, they even offer free online courses in computer science and other related programs. These MIT courses can be audited for free. A validated certificate can be purchased for a small fee.
Their subject concentrations include big data analysis and visualization, programming, python computational thinking, cybersecurity, and artificial intelligence. You can sign up for any of these and earn a valid certificate.
There are a lot of reasons why you need to be excited for a course provided by MIT, and here are just a few of those:
- The courses are prepared and designed by leading scientists, researchers, and industry leaders in the field. There’s absolutely no doubt about the quality of a course provided by MIT.
- The courses are comprehensive and point you to a lot of additional material. So, not only can you learn all the essential building blocks from MIT, but they also help you build on them to make you even more competitive.
- Since their courses are so high-quality, some of them have become standard in universities and online communities around the world. For example, you’ll scarcely find someone saying that the ‘Computational Thinking using Python‘ course isn’t an excellent introduction to computer science. It is part of MIT’s renowned XSeries designed for people with no prior knowledge in the field. If you’ve always wanted to get familiar with key concepts in IT and CS using Python, this is an excellent course.
3. Georgia Institute of Technology, United States
The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), which started as a trade school in 1885 and is now one of the world’s top technical and scientific research organizations.
The university’s schools of Design, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts serve a total of more than 21,500 students.
Engineering and computer science are two of Georgia Institute of Technology’s strengths. Colleges are the nation’s biggest and most highly rated educational institutions. The Institute also provides excellent business, design, liberal arts, and scientific degrees.
Georgia Tech is one of the nation’s most research-intensive institutions, with more than $1 billion in yearly research grants across all six Colleges and the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI). It serves as a catalyst for economic growth in Georgia, the Southeast, and the United States.
Georgia Tech’s goal is to produce leaders who will progress technology while also improving people’s lives. Its purpose and strategy plan are centered on creating a positive difference in people’s lives all around the world.
Georgia Tech offers a great selection of computer science online courses. The below are considered as their best computer science programs:
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming with Java
- Data Structures and Algorithms Certification
- Introduction to Python Programming
- Analytics: Essential Tools and Methods
Georgia Tech also provides free online courses created in collaboration with Udacity. These free high-quality courses provide a good level of practical knowledge, particularly at the basic level, but there is no certificate at completion.
You can also take a free Georgia Tech online course through edX. These are also not ended with a validated certificate but this can be purchased at a small fee!
4. New York University, United States
NYU is one of the biggest private colleges in the United States, having been founded in 1831. New York University is one of just 60 member schools of the prestigious Association of American Universities, which has over 3,000 colleges and universities in the United States.
NYU has approximately 60,000 students spread among three degree-granting campuses in New York City, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai, as well as study abroad locations in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North, and South America. Students come from all 50 states in the United States as well as 133 countries across the world.
Innovative York University is a worldwide hub for developing new approaches to humanity’s problems. The university aspires to be a world-class center for study, teaching, and research. NYU Tandon School of Engineering, as one of the nation’s most prestigious universities, supports this goal. Tandon provides a wide range of engineering, applied science, and technology courses. Each subject is based on a long history of innovation and entrepreneurship. The following deserve your special attention:
- Computer Science Fundamentals with New York University
- Programming & Data Structures with NYU
- Introduction to Databases with NYU
- Cybersecurity Fundamentals with NYU
Machine Learning and Finance by NYU is a specific computer science course dedicate to finance people. Whether you are a trader, financial analyst, or programmer; whether your emphasis is on portfolio management or quantitative analytics, you will develop the ability to solve financial issues using both Classical Machine Learning and Neural Network/Deep Learning methods.
This professional certificate program teaches you the critical skills necessary for developing machine learning models and using data to guide choices.
Additionally, New York University offers free classes. These may be audited for free or students can pay a small charge to obtain a verified certificate.
5. University of California San Diego, United States
The University of California, San Diego, often shortened to UCSD, is a public research university located in the center of the La Jolla neighborhood in San Diego, California. It was founded in 1960 with contributions from the city and General Dynamics, an American aerospace company.
This young university is recognized on a regional, national, and international level. UC San Diego, ranked among the world’s top 15 research institutions, promotes a collaborative culture that encourages research, improves society, and generates economic impact.
The following are online programs that can make a real impact on your future career:
It is obviously worth mentioning that the University of California, San Diego provides free online courses in computer science and related disciplines. Free courses are not ended with a verified certificate however you can purchase the certification option at a small fee.
6. Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) was established in 1842 by King Willem II of the Netherlands to educate engineers and government employees. In 1986, the institution was awarded university status, currently is the biggest and oldest technical university in the Netherlands.
TU Delft takes pride in being a forward-thinking, innovative university with an international perspective, emphasizing problem-solving via teamwork.
Teaching at TU Delft is focused on providing students with technical training, analytical skills, and critical thinking in world-class facilities, thanks to strategic relationships with industry, governments, trade organizations, and many institutions in the Netherlands and across the globe.
Their research is motivated by a desire to get a better grasp of basic concepts as well as social problems. They encourage their students to think independently so that they may become engineers who can solve difficult issues. Delft University of Technology is selected by students because of its reputation for high-quality education and research.
TU Delft top online programs in computer science are:
One Professional Certification that is slightly out of topic here but certainly worth enrolling in the era of cars electrification is Electric Cars with Delft University of Technology. This certification will provide you with a thorough overview of electric transportation. You will learn about the most important aspects of this new market, such as cutting-edge electric vehicle and charging infrastructure technology, successful business concepts that can work for businesses in this market, and policy solutions for government entities that will expedite the adoption of electromobility.
There is also a good selection of free online courses offered by Delft University of Technology. Although these courses are not ended with certificates, you can upgrade them at a small charge and obtain a verified certificate.
7. National University of Singapore
The National Institution of Singapore (NUS), Singapore’s flagship university and one of Asia’s finest, provides a worldwide approach to education, research, and entrepreneurship, with an emphasis on Asian viewpoints and expertise.
Because of the University’s interdisciplinary and real-world approach to teaching, research, and entrepreneurship, we are able to collaborate closely with business, governments, and academia to solve critical and difficult problems affecting Asia and the globe.
The National University of Singapore has 29 university-level research institutions, research centers of excellence, and business laboratories. The University’s most recent research priority is to assist Singapore’s Smart Nation program via data science, operations research, and cybersecurity.
Worth mentioning is the highly popular and recognized online professional certification in Spatial Computational Thinking. It combines conceptual design, algorithm creation, and solution research, with an emphasis on geometric and semantic dataset manipulation. You will master the theoretical understanding and practical skills needed for leveraging computing for the manipulation of different kinds of spatial data.
8. Curtin University, Australia
This is a leading public Australian university with a rank for allowing students to study at their own pace. With over 12,000 online students, Curtin University offers MicroMasters programs in cooperation with edX.
Their courses have a duration of six to twelve months and will include a professional certificate. This school is one of the best computer science universities for online education in computer science:
- By offering niche courses on IoT and robotics like ‘IoT Networks and Protocols’ and ‘IoT Programming and Big Data’, the university satisfies the demand for an important niche in computer science. If these are the subjects you’re interested in, you’ll scarcely find a better university that takes a more thorough dive than Curtin University.
- Job-market-oriented courses: most universities teach you the theoretical basis and the history of a concept in computer science. While these are interesting, they don’t help you land a job. Curtin University wanted to change this: they’ve built their courses from the ground up with a focus on the skills the job market demands.
An excellent course the university offers that exemplifies both of the above qualities is their ‘Internet of Things (IoT) Micro Master’ program. It is a comprehensive certification not only teaches you about the fundamental IoT concepts, but will also guide you through the ways you can design, test, and bring IoT solutions to the market.
One more excellent course worth mentioning is Professional Certification in Mobile App Development. This program will teach you the tools, methods, and techniques that you will need to create a simple iOS application from the ground up. Effectively, you will learn the skills required to start a career in Swift app development.
9. Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain
The Polytechnic University of Valencia (also referred to as the Technical University of Valencia or Valencia Polytechnic University) is a college in Valencia, Spain, that focuses solely on science and technology. They also offer self-paced online computer science and IT-related degrees expected of a technical college.
They offer similar courses to Harvard University including IT service management, software development, web and app development, and other computer networking programs. Their courses also typically take the duration of five to ten months with a verified certificate upon completion.
Taking a course from the Polytechnic University of Valencia comes with its own benefits:
- They offer courses both in English and Spanish, so if you’re someone from Latin America or Spain, and you feel more comfortable with the Spanish language, you’ll love their courses.
- As they are a smaller university, they can afford to test out more experimental technologies, and their courses sometimes include absolute cutting edge techs out there.
- Their courses are beginner-friendly and accessible, making them an excellent choice for people who’ve never dabbled in tech and want to take their first step.
One of their most popular courses is ‘IT Fundamentals for Business Professionals“, which, as the name suggests, is a comprehensive and beginner-friendly dive into the basic elements of success in IT from the perspective of business professionals. The IT world and the business world are becoming increasingly intertwined, and this course will help you make sense of it all.
10. Southern New Hampshire University, New England
As one of the best universities for computer science in the UK, this institute offers some well-detailed and professional online courses. These IT-related courses are data analysis, Data Management with SQL and Python.
These courses are of different levels ranging from beginner, intermediate to advanced and mixed levels. Depending on the program, you can learn at your own pace and complete the program within three to ten months. If you’re in search of the best computer science universities in the UK, this one offers one of the best courses, and there are a few reasons why:
- By offering more than 200 online courses in different fields of education. This university offers courses on the most relevant computer science subjects, tools, and techniques.
- It isn’t only about the quantity of the courses they offer, but it is also about their quality: being one of the best universities in England, the Southern New Hampshire University is known for providing quality computer science courses that give a comprehensive overview of the subjects they tackle.
- Excelling both in IT and business, the university offers excellent business analytics and data processing courses. One of the best online. If you’re interested in this field, you’ll find their ‘Business Analytics Foundations’ course invaluable. It is an 8-month long trip through the fundamentals of what, why, and how behind business analytics. After finishing the course, you’ll be able to accurately measure the performance of a business along key indicators.
Why do you need a computer science credentials?
A lot of people pursue this direction without having complete knowledge about it. Some are even completely ignorant about the importance. Meanwhile, having computer science skills has many benefits. This may include preparing you for a variety of high-paying jobs, giving you stability in the tech world, and exposing you to many opportunities. These are only a few.
What are worth taking online credentials in computer science?
You can get different credentials in this field, leading to a varying career path. Apart from standard degrees, there are programs that focus only on practical, in-demand job-ready skills. These programs are relatively fast and not so expensive when compared to a standard degree:
- Micro Credentials (The most popular are: Nanodegrees, Micro Bachelors, Micro Masters)
- Professional Certifications
- Learning Paths
Now it’s your turn!
What is the real beauty of attending Top University’s online programs? They are all accessible to everyone! All you need to get valuable credentials is a computer, internet access, and a willingness to learn.
Do you have any questions? Hopefully, we’ve been able to guide you through your search for the Best University for Computer Science online courses around the world.
For more effective searching of top online courses, we highly recommend using our simple tool, where you can filter online classes based on multiple features and compare them to choose the one that fits your expectations.
Happy learning with the Best University for Computer Science!